Friday, January 18, 2008

Animal Foundation and Shelter Postings

Greg, over at Electric City Weblog sent me this e-mail the other day:

Susan,

I went after you pretty hard. Do you care to comment?
Hey, Greg:
No, you didn't go after me hard. You did what you thought best and asked
for what you felt was the best confirmation or documentation of what I've
been saying. That's fair. That's all I've been doing with the Foundation,
City and Spay of the Falls issue.
Where possible, I've cited/linked. If it's handwritten, I've quoted. If it's
from individuals who have worked closely, I've indicated that. I can lead
people to the information, but I cannot make them think.
I must ask though, if you are requesting of me to furnish verification, why
not Mr. James, the City, or others? I suggest where people may go to read
what I'm stating. Lowe/Dern produced papers. The HSCC has produced letters
about the bid process back in June 2007. Today's blog was linked more than
a golf course. But, what have those who are being questioned about their
behavior, connectivity and business practices produced to refute any of
this?
As an indication of the interconnectedness I have attached a copy of a
letter (with portions omitted as they are personal to Ms. Lowe) from the law
firm of Ugrin, Alexander, Zadick & Higgins. And WHO is a partner/lawyer in
the firm? Mr. Bob James. And WHO have we been discussing these many months
as pertains to the City and its close ties with the Animal Foundation?
You will note the line which reads, "I find nothing...". I have a problem
with that in two areas.
First, there is City Employee Handbook, Section 15; 15.4.2b. (in this case I
will save everyone the trouble of finding it for themselves) which states
that immediate suspensions are used in situations where it is necessary to
remove the employee immediately from the work environment and/or when time
to conduct an investigation of the situation to determine the appropriate
course of action."
I take that to mean that A) the lawyer who wrote the letter did NOT know his
job, B) said what the city wanted to hear, C) Could care less about this
issue, or D) is working on a predetermined outcome. In any case, I find it
interesting the City hired this law firm (in which Mr. James works and he is
the President of Animal Foundation) to review the Animal Shelter Cruelty
allegations, especially when the City has admitted that the Foundation, Spay
of the Falls (see second attachment) "is involved in the reorganization of
the Animal Shelter."
This brings us to my second problem: The Animal Foundation (plus the other
two groups which supports my statements of their very cozy intertwined
relationship) is headed by Bob James. If the Foundation is involved in the
reorganization then A) how is it they don't know what's happening at the
Shelter, B) how is it they went from ONLY fund raising, per Mr. James'
statements about involvement, to reorganization of a "City operated facility
(note the quotes as I don't believe it to be City oriented at all), C) be
so unaware of the conditions (and this can't be true as we have documented
statements by Mr. James going back to 2002) for the animals that they can
continue to promote how they care while letting animals be killed in
inhumane fashion and, D) did NOT have the Staton Report in hand.
"C" brings up another issue. If they ARE that unaware, then the Foundation
has NO business running anything to do with animals.
This leaves us with Occam's razor (the maxim that assumptions introduced to
explain a thing must not be multiplied beyond necessity) does it not?
As for innuendo, I see nothing wrong with posing a question. You do it all
the time. Are you told that you're promoting innuendo when you question
things about the coal plant? I believe you to be merely questioning and
letting the reader follow that as they wish.
Mr. James, the city representatives, the Police representatives, the Spay of
the Falls representatives chose not to attend the town hall meeting. Much
of this came out and documents were there for review. Why did they not come
and address these questions? What is it they fear? Why are they not
opening books? Why? Why? Why?
Hearsay? It isn't hearsay when the Trib prints it and I refer to it (anyone
may look it up, anyone may purchase the article). It isn't hearsay when the
City has posted rules for bids and they were categorically ignored. It isn't
hearsay when YOU tell me that these groups want me/others marginalized so
they can continue on their merry way. Nor when Cindy James makes statements
to volunteers that if a person can only donate less than $50 "we don't want
that type of person." (Especially if it's heard by more than two people).
It's not hearsay when the people involved make their comments public in the
hearing of more than one person.
Speculation. IRS. Laws. Call them, ask your question. I asked mine. IF
a non-profit promotes their fund raising for a specific entity, then what,
if any, laws have been broken should that non-profit suddenly chose to
ignore their intended recipient in favor of someone/something else? What
about all the money they raised in the name of the original recipient? To
whom does that money belong?
Negotiation and compromise? Look at it this way - your daughter has been
sexually abused by your once-trusted, but now revealed as a pedophile,
babysitter. Will you negotiate and compromise? I wouldn't. I'd get rid of
the babysitter, get help for my daughter and then find a new babysitter, but
be much more careful in my review of that person before letting them near my
child.
I, and many others, will no longer negotiate or compromise with a
group/groups which allow animals to die for no reason while sitting on vast
amounts of money. We once supported these groups. They failed to do as
they promised. WE didn't destroy their credibility. WE didn't sell a bill
of goods to the public. WE didn't make their choices, they did. WE don't
trust them.
This is NOT my way. I'm not getting a job, or money, or retirement, or an
ego, or a paving stone, or anything else out of this. Neither is anyone
else who is fighting this fight against exclusivity and corruption and
disregard for the animals that wait for help. The PEOPLE of this community
are incensed. The PEOPLE, who have stepped forward because they see what is
happening and will not tolerate any more, are making consensus decisions.
Some people are going in the opposite direction. That's fine. They may.
That is one of things we are addressing here - the right to have choices
made by oneself. NOT handed-down decisions that are expected to be accepted
without murmur.
It is the PEOPLE you are hearing. It is THEIR will you are hearing. It's
their decision to fight, run, negotiate or compromise. Within the people's
group there IS common ground.

Susan









3 comments:

GeeGuy said...

Susan, I am not in a position to respond in detail, but I will when I can.

Sunni said...

Who is the idiot that came up with this idea? (The Great Falls Shelter letter)
Isn't that about the same as a police officer pulling over a car for being a good driver(no reason) and than asking for their license and insurance?
Model pet owner my ass. They are looking for a way to raise more money by finding pets that are not licensed or vaccinated so they can ticket the owner!!!!!!!!!!!!
God help the stray animals.

Overfield Kennel said...

I don't know. Maybe they thought they could collect more fines and then send a percentage of the total to the Foundation ala the suggestion of Mr. James?